Vegan Swap

This month I decided to sign up for a Vegan Food Swap. I've been a Vegetarian for over ten years and have been contemplating the swap of going Vegan for a while but always thought 'What would I eat?' etc. 'Where can I buy food from?' 'Is it more expensive?' etc. So for me this was a good taster into Vegan food and shopping for Vegan food.

My Vegan swap was from a lady called Rachel, I told her that I was a Vegetarian wanting to go Vegan. Below is what she sent: 


Rachel managed to hit my sweet tooth just right with things like Summer Peach Sweets, Oreos (I didn't even know these were Vegetarian yet a long Vegan,) a Luna cereal bar, cones for Ice cream, fruit nuggets and Vanilla pudding, while mixing it with a varity of savoury products such as Vegetable broth, quinoa bake, BBQ baked bites and sharing with me something called Seitan something I can't wait to try since I'm not a big fan of Tofu.

My Vegan swap was with Lizi, the idea is to spend £10 on food, my came a little over. I must of spent over half an hour picking these things out in Tesco. I was checking every ingredient list etc. It was interesting and I am quite suprised at the amount I got for just over £10. Here's what I sent:





I tried to send a mixture of items, all of these things are food I would eat myself so hopefully she'll enjoy everything. I sent Red and White Quinoa, oatcakes, a trek bar, strawberry laces, Maple syrup, a small carton of Aplro soya, some frootz and fruit flakes and  a dried fruit superberry mixture.

Are you Vegan or would consider it? What would you have bought I'd love to hear. 
  1. ohhh. I wonder if there are any swap mail groups like this in the US!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sent you a link for the US one!

      Delete
  2. This is such a great swap!

    I would like to become vegan... and I am slowly taking steps in that direction (like getting a pressure cooker, to avoid having to buy pre-canned pulses (lentils, beans, chickpeas), as all that aluminum seems a waste to me. I am learning how to make my own nut/ rice/oat milks, and we do not get meat, chicken or fish with our daily groceries.

    But, but, I do love meat and though I am a strong advocate of raising animals in an ethical,caring way,with the highest standards of welfare, I don't see anything inherently violent in eating animals. Or, if I accept it's violent, then eating plant products is just as violent to me. I see the act of eating as a natural exchange of energy, but I do believe if we will eat animal products the conditions in which these animals live and die have to be the best, the system has to change. This results in us eating meat every now and then, mostly when we go out, but we try to make sure it is organic / biological / grass-fed.

    And we do eat cheese (mostly my husband), eggs, butter and milk (though I try to minimize that). The thing is, being a vet and all, I *know* the system, and I feel like such a big hypocrite by eating dairy products as I know perfectly well that even when a cow is "only" giving milk, its calf is taken away as soon as its born, if it's a female, it will be raised for the dairy industry, if it's a male, it will be led to the meat industry. It is very very difficult and complicated stuff. I have gone vegan for some periods in my life and in the end I get bored, hungry, I get cravings. So what we do now is try to balance it out, make sure we mostly eat a plant-based diet, though sprinkled with (biological / organic / ethical) animal products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly making small steps as well, glad to hear that you are for animals/the environment.

      Personally, I'm a Vegetarian because I don't think I have the right to eat animals (they shouldn't die for me.) I do agree with you, I'm always going to live in a meat eating world so I truly wish that would make it more ethical and maybe tackle some environmental problems the meat industry courses.

      I always feel bad when I eat any dairy products, I can easily switch milk, butter and I only eat eggs in products but I love cheese, something that I find difficult to give up. Hopefully this year I can make my eating habits more plant based and organic like yours!

      =)

      Delete
  3. So exciting! I've been vegan for a year and a half. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions! x

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great swaps Hannah! After a busy weekend I've finally written up my post. I understand your love for cheese as it was the one thing stopping me for a while, but I gave up cheese for lent a couple of years ago and learnt to like houmous instead. I'm so used to not eating dairy now that I don't even like it any more. I even prefer dairy-free chocolate over the real thing! Discovering some great vegan cake recipes helps of course! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly trying to stop adding cheese to everything I eat, its hard but hopefully I'll be able to do it. Houmous is amazing, I love it so much!

      Delete
  5. Hi Hannah, congrats on turning vegan, I went vegan 2nd January this year and I haven't looked back. I haven't suffered a headache since! The vegan swap box is amazing and you get to find out more vegan goodies each month. I too was a cheese monster and I found that quite hard to give up but I've managed so far and I really don't see me going back now. Houmous was my saviour, and my houmous salad sanga is my favourite lunch. Pizza's still taste good without cheese just add fresh spinach leaves to to the top after its cooked instead and drizzle with chilli oil or basil oil (or both) you won't miss the cheese. You can also make a mean 'cheese' sauce with nutritional yeast flakes. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help. Keep up the good work you're doing great! I'm going to attempt to make some vegan rhubarb and custard muffins now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, thank you. I'm not quite there just yet though. Your blog is amazing, perfect for recipes!

      xx

      Delete

Designed by FlexyCreatives